10 Trends Showcasing in 2016
Trends are up and running in the beauty industry. Peeks at New York Fashion Week, hints at the Golden Globes, and spying on the Humans of New York and the Sartorialist show us what is coming our way in upcoming seasons. Some are flash in the pan, some will be here for years to come. How will you interpret these trends in editorial and behind the chair work?
10) It's Your Thing, Do What You Want To Do : there are no superhero products anymore. Use a little of this brand, a little of that brand. Become a Mixologist Hairdresser that defies branding.
9) Save the Top Knots for Summer: it's s winter (ish) for the next few months, so keep your neck warm and style the buns, knots, and ponies low and at the nape.
8) Forget Glitter Roots, just use Jewelry: hide the fact that the party went a little late or the new growth that popped up overnight by pinning in actual jewelry like Marc Jacobs or Rodarte at NYFW.
7) Rose Gold: is it yellow and pink or pink and yellow. Or orange and rose? Have fun with this trend because it can bend to blondes or brunettes and is still in high request years after hitting the scene.
6) Bye-Bye Boho Braid: Keep 'em tight and textured. Start looking up white girl cornrows from the early 2000's because they are coming.
5) Geometric Shapes: hard lines are the trending tattoos, they are seen in hair etching, and the no-to-low layered haircuts for curly to highly coiled hair that sits in a triangle silhouette won't be around forever, so rock it while you can. If a triangle isn't your thing, high top fades have been seen on Hipsters from West Hollywood to Park Slope. Celebrate the square!
4) Bronde, Bronde, Bronde. Gentlemen prefer blondes and marry brunettes. So why not have both? It works for blondes who want to be darker (but not too much) and brunettes that want to be lighter (but not too much) Combine balayage and babylights for a modern take on highlighting.
3) Shadowed roots and micro retouches: Good news! Keeping a deeper color close to the scalp lets everyone buy a couple more weeks out of their color services. Whether a guest chooses rainbow hair, ronze, or brunette, showing off that new growth is not the sin it used to be.
2) Fringe : Baby doll, longer and textured, full and forward, bangs (fringe) are all over Spring/Summer NYFW. Too nervous? Reusable fake bangs with wigs, hairpieces, or clever styling lets clients have the best of both worlds.
1) Men's Grooming: With old school barber shops on the rise and Kurt Kueffner pairing with Aveda for men's curriculum, man buns, man braids, pompadours, men's spaces within salons, keep your clippers well oiled.
Share your trend pictures, Destroyers, and bring on the Spring warmth!